10:22 GMT +3 hours23 November 2014
Live
Russia

Chechen ex-field commander put on Russia's wanted list

Russia
(updated 18:25 28.10.2014)
00
GROZNY, August 6 (RIA Novosti) - Sulim Yamadayev, former commander of the Russian Defense Ministry's Vostok battalion in Chechnya, has been put on a federal wanted list, the North Caucasus republic's interior minister said Wednesday.

"A report from the investigation committee of the Russian prosecutor's office for Chechnya said Tuesday that Sulim Yamadayev has been put on a federal wanted list," Ruslan Alkhanov said at a meeting with the president of the troubled republic.

Chechen investigators said a probe into murder charges against Yamadayev and some of his commandos was opened May 4.

Yamadayev was suspected of being behind an attack on the security convoy of President Ramzan Kadyrov in Chechnya on April 14.

The Vostok battalion answers directly to the Russian Defense Ministry and the Chechen authorities have no effective control over it.

Kadyrov said previously he had no conflict with Vostok itself, but had concerns about some of its military leaders, whom he dubbed criminals.

Badrudi Yamadayev, Sulim Yamadayev's younger brother, was sentenced in 2003 to 11 years in prison for attempted murder, but was later released on parole. He is currently wanted by law enforcement bodies.

Kadyrov has accused the Yamadayev brothers of a number of crimes and demanded that they be brought to justice.

The Chechen president explicitly pointed to a special military operation by Vostok battalion troops in the Borozdinovskaya village in the summer of 2005. Four houses were burnt down, 11 people disappeared and a 77-year-old man died as a result of the operation.