20:22 GMT +3 hours29 May 2016
Live
News

Kyrgyzstan to charge ex-president's son with terrorism - Otunbayeva

News
Get short URL
0300

The Kyrgyz provisional government will charge the country's ex-president's son with terrorism and seek his extradition from Britain on these grounds, the country's interim leader said on Tuesday.

The Kyrgyz provisional government will charge the country's ex-president's son with terrorism and seek his extradition from Britain on these grounds, the country's interim leader said on Tuesday.

Maxim Bakiyev, second son of ousted Kyrgyz leader Kurmanbek Bakiyev, was detained late on Monday at Farnborough airport in southern England.

The interim government suspects him of organizing and financing deadly clashes in the country's two southern cities of Osh and Jalal-Abad, which left at least 176 people dead and over 1800 injured.

Rosa Otunbayeva, who headed the country after President Kurmanbek Bakiyev was ousted amid violent unrest in early April, said her government would do everything to make Maxim Bakiyev face justice.

"The interim government intends to accuse Bakiyev of terrorism and other anti-government acts," she said, according to Kyrgyz news agency AKI Press.

She added that while the interim government would collect all available evidence against Maxim Bakiyev, it was up to the British authorities to decide whether or not to extradite him.

Bakiyev, who is on the Interpol wanted list, is also suspected of embezzling millions of dollars of a loan from Russia. According to the Kyrgyz Prosecutor's General's Office, he placed $35 million of a $300 million loan from Russia into his private bank accounts while in office.

The interim government has accused Kurmanbek Bakiyev, who took refuge in Belarus after fleeing Kyrgyzstan, and his relatives of involvement in the shooting of civilians during the April riots and demanded his extradition.

The former Kyrgyz leader told a news conference in Minsk on Monday that the accusations against him and his family were "groundless."

The Belarusian Prosecutor General's Office rejected the extradition request earlier on Tuesday.

MOSCOW, June 15 (RIA Novosti) 

Community standardsDiscussion
Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
  • Сomment
Top stories